A morning staple here in Kate's. They work well topped with sweet or savory, they are nutty and crispy on the outside and feel relatively healthy !!
- 250g plain flour - plus extra for dusting
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds (sesame, chia, pumpkin, sunflower) - plus extra for topping
- 150g butter
- 300ml milk
- 1 free-range egg - plus extra for glazing
- pinch of salt
Pre-heat oven 180c
- Add all your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Dice up your butter and add to the flour mix - rub the flour and butter together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add mixed seeds and mix through.
- Add the egg (lightly whisked)
- Start adding the milk, mixing with a spoon until the dough comes together in the bowl, you might not need it all.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out dough until about 1 inch thick and cut out rounds with a scone cutter.
- Keep repeating this until all the dough is used up. 8-10 scones approx
- Space the scones out on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, brush with a little egg wash and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 20 min or so until golden and enjoy !!
Top Tip - these will freeze so well uncooked too, make a batch and pop a few in the freezer for again!